Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Next Big Thing

I was invited by writer Ed Kurtz to participate in THE NEXT BIG THING. A series of posts by authors in which they answer questions about their forthcoming books, then tag other writers they think you should know about. Ed also asked Benjamin Kane Ethridge, Thomas Pluck, Lee Thomas, and Daniel O’Shea to participate, so please visit their sites and read their posts, too.

1)What is the working title of your next book?
Ink

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
I was leaving a tattoo shop in Fells Point (in Baltimore) and had a flash of inspiration, one of those what-if moments. I thought it was going to be a short story, but the characters decided otherwise.

3) What genre does your book fall under?
Character-driven horror.

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Honestly, I don't know. In my head, the characters don't look like actors. They look like people I see every day. No one specific, just ordinary, regular people. I will say that the inspiration for the villain's voice was the actor Michael Wincott.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Ink will be released on December 4th from Samhain Horror, and my previous agent brokered the deal.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Forty days.

8)What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Ink is not a slash-all-the-people-and-pull-out-their-guts kind of story, but that's not to say that I'm afraid of gore, nor is it to say that the book doesn't have a few…squishy parts, but the gore is not the focus. The characters are. I don't write plot-driven fiction, so I create havoc and let the characters work their way out (or in deeper) based on who they are, not on what I would do.

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I'm very much a write from the gut writer, and once I had the initial idea spark, there was no way not to write it. I make silly comments here and there about my muse, but, in truth, it's really the dark little space in my head where all the stories come from--a collective mindpool of people I've known, places I've been, dreams I've had, and a bunch of pretty what-ifs dressed in their Sunday best and waving their hands for attention.

10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
Ink is set in Baltimore and I sprinkled in mentions of real landmarks to give it an authentic flavor: The Inner Harbor, the Chesapeake Bay, the Washington Monument (Yes, we have one, and yes, it's older than the one in DC.), Poe's grave. I even put in a nod to a restaurant where my husband proposed to me, although I suspect only locals will be able to figure that one out.

And lastly, have you heard the joke that begins with, "a Sailor walks into a bar…?" Have you ever heard the punchline? I haven't and perhaps that's because the joke has never been a joke at all, but a warning.

Thank you very much, Ed, for including me in TNBT. Next week's entry will be from the fantastic Mercedes Murdock Yardley.

Samhain is giving away ten copies of Ink on Goodreads, but hurry to enter. The giveaway ends November 23rd.

No comments:

 

© 2009Damien Walters | by TNB