Monday, December 3, 2012

Dreams of INK

Fourteen hours until Ink is released and I feel as if I'm standing on a precipice, yet what waits below is not a deep chasm of treacherous rock and stone.

Today, I'm a published author, thanks to my short fiction. Tomorrow, though, I become a published novelist. Maybe it's only semantics and this whole thing is worthy of nothing more than a rolling of the eyes.

Except… Except…

Over the years, I heard things like "agents don't rep horror", "horror doesn't sell", and when I received the first rejection for the first query letter, I wondered if they were right. Second rejection. Ouch. By the fifth, they didn't hurt as much. And then came a request. I don't remember if it was a full or a partial, but what it meant was a maybe, a step up on a climb to somewhere that was a dream.

More waiting, more querying, more maybes, more nos. And then a yes. Another step.

And then came submission. More waiting, this time for editors, more maybes, more nos. Sometimes the nos cut so deep, I thought I'd bleed out before too long. Then came a yes. Another step. A huge one.

And now this.

I know tomorrow will bring giddiness and laughter and fear and anxiety, but right now, I have this almost ethereal feeling of accomplishment that tastes of honeysuckle and candyfloss. Call it luck, call it hard work, call it talent. But I didn't quit. I kept taking those steps. I kept climbing.

Now I'm standing on that precipice and what waits below is a dream I dared to believe in, and I hope I never forget what this feels like.

4 comments:

T.Pittman said...

And all it took was...nerves of steel, persistence, believing in a dream, hard (hard work), and being the talented writer that I know you are. Congrats, my friend. For now, I can only dream about the feeling that you are experiencing, but you are such an inspiration to me. May you have much success, success that I know you deserve. And, well...this is just WONDERFUL!
Congrats, Damien!!!

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

Thank you so very much!

Emily Saso said...

I'm so excited for you, Damien! (And SO looking forward to reading INK.) It's such a long hard road to publication and look at you! You did it! Woo hoo!

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

Thank you very much, Emily!