Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Year in Words

As the year winds down to a close, I thought I'd take a look at what I've achieved over the last twelve months.

I sold twelve short stories, eight of which were published this year and four which will be published sometime in 2013. I also had twelve stories published this year. Those publications include:

They Make of You a Monster - Beneath Ceaseless Skies
Glass Boxes and Clockwork Gods - Electric Velocipede
Scarred - Fireside Magazine
And When the Innocence Falls to the Floor - Penumbra eMag
In Her Arms of Dresden Pale - Daily Science Fiction
To Be Undone of Such Small Things - Daily Science Fiction
A Handful of Glass, a Sky Without Stars - Daily Science Fiction
And Down Will Come Baby, Madmen and All - Buzzy Mag

Earlier in the year, Like Origami in Water, published in 2011, was included on Ellen Datlow's Honorable Mention list for Best Horror of the Year Volume 4. Thinking about that still makes my heart flutter.

As far as novels, I finished one in January, wrote another (first draft - 106k), and edited two others (one for my editor, one for my agent). 2012 also brought the release of my first novel, Ink, the reception of which has been overwhelmingly positive.

Looking ahead to 2013, I've stories set to appear in Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, and Apex Magazine. I'm also working on some new short stories for projects I can't talk about yet. 2013 will also bring book signings and conventions.

As award season is approaching, it would be remiss if I didn't mention that my short fiction is eligible for the various awards (Stoker, Nebula, and Hugo), and Ink is eligible for the Bram Stoker Award® for first novel (It's also eligible for the Nebula and Hugo, but it may be too dark/horror for those). I'm also in my second year of eligibility for the John W. Campbell Award.

All in all, 2012 has been amazing, but my inner overachiever thinks I can do better next year. Here's hoping I don't disappoint her.

4 comments:

Blase Ciabaton said...

Congrats on a very productive year! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2013...

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

Thank you very much, Blase!

Gio Clairval said...

Bravissima, signora!

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

Grazie, amica mia!