Monday, January 7, 2013

Fantastic Reads of 2012

I know, I know, everyone is making posts about the best of 2012. But best of is such a subjective term, so I thought I'd make a list of some of the books, anthologies, and short stories I read that I thought were fantastic. My to-read pile is still quivering beneath the weight of books released in 2012 that I haven't read yet, and I'm certain there are fantastic books in that pile, too, but I only have so many hours in the day.

Novels:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Westlake Soul by Rio Youers
Nightwhere by John Everson
Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig
Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues by Diana Rowland

Short Story Collections/Anthologies: 
Beautiful Sorrows by Mercedes M. Yardley  
Remember Why You Fear Me by Robert Shearman
Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury edited by Mort Castle and Sam Weller
Dark Faith: Invocations edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon

Short Stories:  
The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury by Neil Gaiman (from Shadow Show)  
Night Train by Alma Alexander (from Dark Faith: Invocations)
Armless Maidens of the American West by Genevieve Valentine (from Apex)
Everything Must Go by Brooke Wonders (from Clarkesworld)  
Waiting for Beauty by Marie Brennan (from Apex)  
Chop Shop by J.B. Park (from Nightmare)
(To See the Other) Whole Against the Sky by E. Catherine Tobler (from Clarkesworld)  
Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream by Maria Dahvana Headley (from Lightspeed)  
Breaking the Frame by Kat Howard (from Lightspeed)
Iron Ladies, Iron Tigers by Sunny Moraine (from Clarkesworld)

Please note: This is not a complete list of the fantastic short fiction I read in 2012, but I'm afraid I'd be here all day if I tried to do that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My co-editor Sam thanks you, our Lit'ry Papa Ray thanks you, and I thank you.

Mort Castle

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

You are very welcome, Mort. Thank you for putting together such a wonderful collection of stories!

Anonymous said...

How kind! And, in return, may I say how much I enjoy Electric Velocipede? (I think I can. I think I have!)

Happy New Year!

Rob Shearman

Alma Alexander said...

I am so very delighted to hear that my story has found a reader whom it has pleased! Thank you so much!

Alma Alexander

Rabid Fox said...

From your list, I've only read Chuck Wendig's "Blackbirds". But I'm in full agreement, there.

As for the others, what aren't already on my TBR pile, are going on my wish list.

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

Rob and Alma, you are both very welcome! Thank you for writing such stellar work!

RF, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Christina said...

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I want you to know how much I loved Westlake Soul too. It was damn near the only book I read in 2012 that made me want to cry. And that final line...*shivers*

Mercedes said...

Damien! Thank you so much! You know how much I love your work, so it's a real honor.

I can't wait to pick up these other wonderful books!